utorrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utorrent

BTW, if anyone has utorrent installed, I recommend you uninstall it immediately. The latest version comes with a Bitcoin mining program, which apparently installs even of you opt not to use it. There are plenty of other programs like Deluge, or you could install and older version like utorrent 2.2.1.

utorrent has been malware-infested for ages. Yontoo got distributed via that vector...
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Yeah I was using an older version, but getting annoyed when it kept asking to upgrade. So I deleted it a while back. But still worried it might have found a way to plant something on my system.

Comment

I have the older version installed. I never upgrade freeware thats peersharing as I don't trust it much. Does peerblock filter malwares? as I use that in conjunction with any Utorrent activity.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          I have the older version installed. I never upgrade freeware thats peersharing as I don't trust it much. Does peerblock filter malwares? as I use that in conjunction with any Utorrent activity.
          It blocks computers with logged IP addresses from accessing your PC. I'm not 100% sure how much info they can get even if blocked, but every little bit helps ... and it can't do any harm.

I'm guessing it will filter a lot of potentially dangerous websites. But it won't do anything if what you are downloading contains malware ... so the source of your downloading is still the most important factor in filesharing.

When you disable uTorrent, it's amazing how many IP's are trying to connect to your PC.

I don't use Torrents as much anymore ... not since Netflix, Prime, Youtube, Spotify etc became usable legal sources. I mostly just use it for stuff that I can't get access to anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            It blocks computers with logged IP addresses from accessing your PC. I'm not 100% sure how much info they can get even if blocked, but every little bit helps ... and it can't do any harm.

I'm guessing it will filter a lot of potentially dangerous websites. But it won't do anything if what you are downloading contains malware ... so the source of your downloading is still the most important factor in filesharing.

When you disable uTorrent, it's amazing how many IP's are trying to connect to your PC.

I don't use Torrents as much anymore ... not since Netflix, Prime, Youtube, Spotify etc became usable legal sources. I mostly just use it for stuff that I can't get access to anywhere else.
            I stopped using cable about 4 years ago so for those shows I can't get on those sites I use torrents. But again, I am extremely careful to only have it up while I download and close it immediately after the file is done.

I guess I have been lucky to date as I've not had any issues so far.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
            X