Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guy buys Vince Lombardi's coat for 58 cents. You know what comes next.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy buys Vince Lombardi's coat for 58 cents. You know what comes next.

Sean McAvoy of Knoxville, Tenn. was shopping in an Asheville, N.C. Goodwill store when he came across a tattered old West Point jacket. He bought it for 58 cents, intending to sell it at his own vintage clothing store.

But McAvoy happened to be watching a documentary on the legendary coach Vince Lombardi, the man for whom the Super Bowl winners' trophy is named, and noticed that Lombardi was sporting a jacket just like the one he'd bought. His wife checked the jacket, and lo and behold, there was a nametag that read "Lombardi" within.

The jacket came from Lombardi's time at West Point, his final coaching stop before jumping to the NFL. As the auction listing notes: "Serving as assistant to veteran head coach Earl 'Colonel Red' Blaik, Lombardi inherited his mentor's focus on repetition and execution that formed the basis for the iconic leader's personal mantra: 'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.'"

McAvoy first contacted the NFL Hall of Fame, which wanted him to donate the sweater. McAvoy decided to go the more profitable route, contacting Heritage Auctions in Dallas. An appraiser authenticated the sweater and set its value at $20,000, with an auction set to take place this weekend. You can view the bidding right here; if you're going to get in on the action, better save those pennies

I saw the story yesterday was announced and thought he should donate the coat. I didn't realize it was worth $20,000. How do taxes work? If he did donate could he write off $20,000 as a donation?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      I'd sell it, too. Donating things to the NFL is very near the bottom of my idea of charity.
      Seriously.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yep. Zero issues with this guy wanting to profit off it.

Comment

for any one of you guys, I'd take $18000
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'd pay $18000 if you took some of them away.

Comment

I'm wondering if $20,000 is lowball. If the Hall of Fame wants it, they can bid.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                I'd pay $18000 if you took some of them away.
                ooooooooooo, burn.

Comment

Working...
                X