X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick question.

No not religious.

No Google or Bing for this one.

I did not know the answer. But found the answer interesting. I hope you do to.

How many countries are there in the World?

if i knew there were 7 billion ppl in the world and wanted to get the average population:..7 billion divided by 400 = seventeen million five hundred thousand. which seems small. 200 would be 35 million.

im gonna go with 200 as my answer.

Comment

I'm going to go with 180
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I will post the answer tonight about 6:00 Central time.

Comment

i will guess

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I think I actually know this, although the number changes all the time.

Yeah, depending on the day it's usually between 192-196.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Wow, good answers everyone.

It is a little early but since we have some winners, here goes: From Worldatlas-

Now that is a question that's somewhat difficult to answer, as there is no one right answer. Many sources offer different answers, and depending on the source, there are 189, 191, 192, 193, 194 or 195 independent countries in the world today.

As of May 1, 2008, the United Nations has 192 members (including Montenegro and Serbia - the two newest nations). That number does not include the Vatican, and it doesn't (yet) include Kosovo (disclaimer). v

Regarding England, Scotland and Wales, though all are widely considered individual countries, they are all still a part of the United Kingdom (UK), a recognized European country by the United Nations, United States, and others, and therefore included within the United Kingdom on our country list below.

The US State Department recognizes 194 independent countries around the world, but that list of countries reflects the political agenda of the United States of America. As an example, it includes Kosovo, but does not include Taiwan, as China claims that Taiwan (the ROC) is simply a province of China.

Most of the current World Almanacs use 193 countries, which is probably the best answer, but what about Kosovo? (disclaimer) Palestine? Greenland? Western Sahara?

A note regarding Greenland: It voted in favor of increased self-rule in November 2008 and acquired complete responsibility for internal affairs in June 2009. Denmark, however, continues to exercise control of Greenland's foreign affairs, security, and financial policy in consultation with Greenland's Home Rule Government.

In that regard, Greenland is still a part of Denmark, and not recognized as an official independent country. In fact, it's a constituent country; a country that is part of another entity, such as a sovereign state. In this case, the country of Denmark.

The political world is constantly changing and our list of independent nations is shown below. Note that we don't say that our list is the ONLY answer, just that it's our answer.

Comment

Working...
              X