Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could kill someone by just writing their name in a book, would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could kill someone by just writing their name in a book, would you?

I was on another internet forum and this was the topic. Apparently it is the premise of a show that can be found online called "Death Note". I have never seen the show. But this question was asked on another forum, and there are hundreds of responses. Below is a cut and paste from that forum:

For those who have not seen the show, the premise is...

You get a notebook. If you write someone's name in it, they will die. The long and short of the rules are as follows: You can specify the time of death, cause of death, and actions leading up to their death, so long as it's physically possible and does not directly lead to the death of anyone else. You also have to keep the face of the person in question in mind while writing, so that people with the same name are not effected. Which means you need a name and a face.

So you get this book, for whatever reason, and are made aware that it is real, and it works. Would you use it, and for what purpose? Would you be selfish and use it to get ahead somehow? Would you right the world's wrongs by killing criminals? Would you be stealthy with it and make everything look like random diseases or suicides, or would you make it obvious that someone is specifically doing it (masses of deaths of high profile people all with the same cause of death would draw attention, for example). If you wouldn't use it, what would you do with it? Would you hand it in to the authorities? Destroy it? Hide it?

This is a good question to as the Dead Pool players.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      This is a good question to as the Dead Pool players.

Dick Cheney
      Jake 'the Snake' Roberts
      Ryan Buell
      Jerry Sandusky
      Gary Glitter
      Artie Lange
      Lil' Wayne
      Frankie Muniz
      Suge Knight
      Justin Bieber
      Edward Furlong
      Jamarcus Russell

Just win, baby.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Dick Cheney
        Jake 'the Snake' Roberts
        Ryan Buell
        Jerry Sandusky
        Gary Glitter
        Artie Lange
        Lil' Wayne
        Frankie Muniz
        Suge Knight
        Justin Bieber
        Edward Furlong
        Jamarcus Russell

Just win, baby.
        Oh right ... that's your Dead Pool team ... at first glance I was like "DMT wants to kill Lil' Wayne as much as Gary Glitter ... waa?"

Comment

No and I would destroy the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            No and I would destroy the book.
            I would absolutely use it.

The Word According to GITH.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I would use it to kill the kid bullying my son.....and I know it is wrong to kill children
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

After seeing American Sniper, Clint Eastwood.

Comment

Be honest, none of you here would use it if you actually thought that it would work. It's the 2nd oldest fantasy in the world...revenge. But in real life, almost nobody get's to that point...that's why news stories of murders, and plots, are still news, they're by their very definition highly unusual.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't know Hornsby.... I really think I would use it on some of the most evil people in the world. I'm not saying I would have had the balls to do it, but years ago on RJ, there was a thread about Bin Laden, and I said then that I wish I could have run across him when he was alone so I could have shot him. I meant it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Be honest, none of you here would use it if you actually thought that it would work. It's the 2nd oldest fantasy in the world...revenge. But in real life, almost nobody get's to that point...that's why news stories of murders, and plots, are still news, they're by their very definition highly unusual.
                      I wouldn't use it for revenge. I'd use vs those I thought were detrimental to a peaceful future. Consequently, there'd be about 20 million or more less in the world as I'd make general orders to do away with certain kinds of folks, like rapists, those who got away with murder and the like.....
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I can't say for sure if I had it what I would do, but I do know, with absolute certainty, I wouldn't turn it over to the authorities.

There's been a few times in my life it's probably good I didn't have this notebook.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          I wouldn't use it for revenge. I'd use vs those I thought were detrimental to a peaceful future. Consequently, there'd be about 20 million or more less in the world as I'd make general orders to do away with certain kinds of folks, like rapists, those who got away with murder and the like.....
                          That would make you one of the greatest mass murderers in history, and likely make you the target of anyone who might have access to such a book. And the phrase: I'd make general orders to do away with certain kinds of folks rings really badly when you look at history.

Don't believe for a minute that you'd do anything like that, based on what I've seen here over the years...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            How would you know who had gotten away with murder or rape? And you would really be so sure about it that you would be willing to be judge and jury.

For example, I'm pretty sure that Bill Cosby has gotten away with a bunch of rapes. But I'm not so sure of that that I would want to kill him. Even if I was sure...to have that kind of power...wow...I'm not sure I'd use it wisely.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              That would make you one of the greatest mass murderers in history, and likely make you the target of anyone who might have access to such a book. And the phrase: I'd make general orders to do away with certain kinds of folks rings really badly when you look at history.

Don't believe for a minute that you'd do anything like that, based on what I've seen here over the years...
                              I always assume a power like that comes with the innate ability to now the truth in all situations. I would never assume anything, but if I KNEW, you know like being omniscient, then yeah I'd use the book to make the world better.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X