Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Hunting...

Just curious what you guys drink?

I just finished a case of Great Lakes Nosferatu and Dortmunder Gold and was looking for something new. I have drank a lot of yuengling and Sam Adams Summer Ale and Octoberfest the last few years. Anyway I like all of these, but I know I haven't experimented a lot and was hoping to get some new suggestions.

i'm on a Newcastle Brown ("newkie brown") kick right now, because it's $23 a case at costco. and it's a really good beer.

i just picked up a case of Inversion I.P.A. today - haven't tried it yet...
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Saranac has a new "limited edition" Irish Red that is pretty good....
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Saranac has a new "limited edition" Irish Red that is pretty good....
        Wish I could get it. I love their IPA, too. Being the Wisconsin boy that I am, I typically drink the local beers - Capitol Amber when I'm in Madison, Point Amber and Pale Ale at home. There's a great microbrewery in downtown Green Bay, I'd like to get down there more often.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Wish I could get it. I love their IPA, too. Being the Wisconsin boy that I am, I typically drink the local beers - Capitol Amber when I'm in Madison, Point Amber and Pale Ale at home. There's a great microbrewery in downtown Green Bay, I'd like to get down there more often.
          I miss all the Wisconsin beers, my brother went to college in Mad Town so I've been out there to sample to local brews. I really like Sprecher and Spotted Cow. Do they still make Huber? I saw Point at a grocery store in Brooklyn last month, that surprised me.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yeah, someone bought the Huber label, but it's very local now - only the western part of the state; I haven't even been able to buy it. Sprecher is excellent, too. Point picked up some positive press as one of the airlines stocked them for a while - I think Northwest prior to the Delta buyout.

MadTown's a great place to drink great local beers. If you're ever back there, let me know. I'll send you a link rating the broad variety of watering holes across the city.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Narragansett Porter, it tastes like Guinness extra stout but it's only $8 for a six pack and comes in 16oz talls.

Comment

Anything from Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, but especially their Abbey Ale and Hennepin Saison-- absolutely incredible beers. If you go to the Hall, be sure to go to the brewery! Byron also got me hooked on Shiner Bock several years back on a trip to Dallas for the BHF auction and there's a six of it in my fridge right now.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Dogfishhead is 60 Minutue IPA is good.

Comment

I've been generally hooked on anything by Brooklyn, Dogfish Head, or Bell's as a default since I moved to DC. Before then (and I still don't know how I was able to get these in Knoxville and not here), I'd look toward Left Hand and Duck Rabbit breweries. Duck Rabbit's in DC now, but not the full selection, and I've heard rumors of the same thing with Left Hand.

I'd say anything by those is a good start; I've been jonesing hard for Left Hand Deep Cover Brown, which is one of the spicier browns I've run into. (You may be able to get that in Pittsburgh; I've found it in Philly, at least.) As for now, I have Brooklyn Brown in my fridge but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Yeah, someone bought the Huber label, but it's very local now - only the western part of the state; I haven't even been able to buy it. Sprecher is excellent, too. Point picked up some positive press as one of the airlines stocked them for a while - I think Northwest prior to the Delta buyout.

MadTown's a great place to drink great local beers. If you're ever back there, let me know. I'll send you a link rating the broad variety of watering holes across the city.
                      Cool, will do. I think I might have a few friends still living there.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

like I told Stiffler's mom, beer is for cretins.....
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I was a beer snob back in the early mirco-brew days of the 1990's. Hot damn, They are making some smooth brews now, Dogfish, and the craft brews from Brooklyn are excellent, really top notch. I also like the Dale's Pale ale.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I will make a trip this week and see what I can find. I have had Dogfish Head in the bar a few times but never got a case so that is a possibility.

Comment

To be non-regional (I think), bought the Sam Adams Irish Ale tonight.

Smooth.

Schaefer jingle used to be "the one beer to have if you're having more than one."

This one is more like "if you're having only one. Or two."

Has some bite, so a savor concoction, like a whiskey or scotch, I suppose.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X