Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Economy grows by most in a decade this last quarter

Thanks, Obama!

The world’s largest economy surged in the third quarter, expanding at the fastest pace in more than a decade, as U.S. consumers and businesses spent more than previously estimated.

Gross domestic product grew at a 5 percent annual rate from July through September, the biggest advance since the third quarter of 2003, and up from a previously estimated 3.9 percent, revised figures from the Commerce Department showed today in Washington. The median forecast of 75 economists surveyed by Bloomberg projected a 4.3 percent increase.

I'll put money on it being an anomaly or a cooking of the figures rather than anything concrete. 5% just makes no sense. Has the US all of a sudden started making stuff again?

There isn't much that's solid to hold onto there if it's driven by cheaper oil, consumer spending, consumer debt growth, financial services, and increasing stock prices ... practically nothing solid apart from an apparent huge hike in military spending, which is always a dependable stimulus for the US economy, and of course detrimental to the ever increasing national debt.

... not even taking into account the wider economic malaise.

Comment

It's amazing what lower gas/oil prices do for the US economy... keep jamming it up the Iraqis ass, OPEC!

Gracias
      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I would be interested to see where the growth was. There has been a lot of talk of activity in the energy sector, ie fracking. This may be the fruition of that. The decline in fuel prices began in June, so it is reflected through whole quarter, but will be larger this quarter. Refining is up. The strong dollar has made imports cheaper. I would also like to know where business spending was centered.

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
        It's amazing what lower gas/oil prices do for the US economy... keep jamming it up the Iraqis ass, OPEC!

Gracias
        Iran, but we get the point. Also Russia.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
        X