The Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Interview

I find this story pretty interesting. I wonder why the movie is really being pulled ? Are there Sony employees who are being blackmailed or threatened by the North Koreans ? This could veer into ST territory.

U.S. investigators have evidence that hackers stole the computer credentials of a system administrator to get access to Sony’s computer system, allowing them broad access, U.S. officials briefed on the investigation tell CNN. The finding is one reason why U.S. investigators do not believe the attack on Sony was aided by someone on the inside, the officials tell CNN.

A senior administration official said the White House did not pressure Sony to make the decision it announced Wednesday to pull the movie "The Interview" -- which depicts the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un -- from theaters.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

The theory I've seen is that a handful of large movie chains decided not to show it, it already had really bad buzz, and if they pull it completely some unspecified insurance policy would indemnify Sony which wouldn't trigger if it had a partial run.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Wasn't the animated movie they wanted to run instead about 10 years old?

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

It looks dumb and was probably going to bomb, now their losses are curtailed because of insurance.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          It looks dumb and was probably going to bomb, now their losses are curtailed because of insurance.
          this. I don't think they planned the hack, but did take advantage of the insurance as the movie looked awful from the trailers I saw.

Comment

The finger pointing is getting intense.

That said, the publicity is priceless. The movie will run to a ton of first week sales. After that the merits will take over.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              The Merits will take over.

J
              Bill and Ethel?

Comment

I have 2 theories, and I would guess it's a combo of the both of them:

1. Movie theaters just couldnt risk another Aurora. The hackers made threats of physical violence at the movie premiere.
                2. Sony is being blackmailed with as-yet unreleased hacked info that makes what has already been leaked look like child's play.

Comment

Once violence wa threatened, this was over. Is anyone goign to put their lives at risk to watch jackasses like Seth Rogen & James Franco make dick jokes?Once Regal & AMC were out, why bother releasing it?
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Hilarious SNL skit on this topic.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                      Once violence wa threatened, this was over. Is anyone goign to put their lives at risk to watch jackasses like Seth Rogen & James Franco make dick jokes?Once Regal & AMC were out, why bother releasing it?
                      The merits of the movie are not the issue. Just like the Rushdie book was originally pulled from the major chains, it was released as planned. We can never be cowed by the treat of violence, if we are just hand they keys to those who hate us right now and get it over with.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        The merits of the movie are not the issue. Just like the Rushdie book was originally pulled from the major chains, it was released as planned. We can never be cowed by the treat of violence, if we are just hand they keys to those who hate us right now and get it over with.
                        yeah, but this is a decision by a private company whose only interests are those of its shareholders.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          yeah, but this is a decision by a private company whose only interests are those of its shareholders.
                          It was the same with Barnes and Nobles when there were threats over Rushdie's book.

To me if you enjoy the protections this country and it's way of life gives you, you should stand up for those same principles.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            It was the same with Barnes and Nobles when there were threats over Rushdie's book.

To me if you enjoy the protections this country and it's way of life gives you, you should stand up for those same principles.
                            Good to see you agree that corporations have the same rights as people. You'll be back on Antonine Scalias Christmas card list in no time.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Good to see you agree that corporations have the same rights as people. You'll be back on Antonine Scalias Christmas card list in no time.
                              Now if they'd just start paying their taxes again........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X