Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a Good luck or a Bad Luck owner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a Good luck or a Bad Luck owner?

As the Fantasy Football season winds down and with Roto Ball almost upon us I was thinking about the good and bad of last years campaigns and realized I always come close in most of my leagues. I win some, cash in most and once in a great while, flame out in spectacular fashion. However, this season I have seemed to have run into a little final table funk, if you know what I mean.

On the last day of baseball season I was in second place by half a point, one point ahead of fourth in Boxscore, the long time rotojunkie staff league, somewhat disappointed that I faded from first a week earlier**I couldn't fade the injuries to Tulo, Encarnation, Pedroia and Stanton down the stretch, but injuries happen so I told myself** I am only vulnerable in one category, strikeouts. I have Gray and Felix going on this final day, the guy in 4th is 5 Ks behind me and has only Pineda going. I get 12 Ks he gets 18 from Pineda and some scrubs to leapfrog me into 2nd and drop me to 4th because of ONE strikeout.

This season in football I had easily the best roster but lost 2 games by less than a point and ended up in a tie for 1st when another owner dropped D Robinson and the guy who tied me picked him up and was able to start 4 RBs because Yahoo keep his designation as a WR in play. On the last day he passed me by 10 points to take first on the tie breaker. I also lost the bonus money for WR and RB high points for the season on the last day, one by a point the other by .3 of a point. Then I get bounced in the first round of the playoffs when I scored 155 after avg 220 for the season and get beat by the only seed in the consolation bracket I would have lost to in the first round, the 7th, who over scored his projections by 60 points.

So this season, the last day hasn't been very good to me and I didn't even drink Jobu's rum.

Anyone else suffer similar bad beats or really great miracle finishes?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

A few years ago I finished 0.5 point out of the money in my AL league.

Last year I had a slim lead in a keeper hockey pool but I had a big final day and won by a few points. For the last 3 days I was making roster moves (take effect next day) and scouting matchups. I definitely managed that team to a title.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I seem to have the worst injury / other issues....

Last year I lost Julio, Calvin was hurt, and Rodgers was out a significant time. And wasn't Peterson out as well? .... but I won my league.

This season... Peterson suspended, Julio and Calvin missed several games... lost Bradshaw and Denard Robinson. Also lost time with Julius Thomas. This season I probably will finish 2nd.

Sure, every team has injuries, but I seem to have way more than everybody else in my league. I am the only guy who had to use all 8 waiver wire pickups this season just to field a team. Nobody else has even used 5 ww moves.

Comment

our season-long leader this year led by 2.5 pts with 2 days left in spite of injuries to Goldschmidt, JoseFernandez, Arenado, Wacha, Ryu (twice), Bailey after 3 (great) starts as a trade acquisition, move of closers Street and Grilli to AL, Sept freefall of BHamilton, and suckitude of Lackey as the big FAAB buy of the season. this had been the greatest keeper list ever, by a lot.

this owner still up 1 pt with 1 day left, and runnerup has no shot anywhere of gaining even a half-pt. runnerup also only leads leader by 1 SV and 1 R, and leads another owner by only 1 K.

so what happens? runnerup loses NO pts, still at 94. leader back and forth, then falls behind 94 to 93.5 entering a couple of 4 pm games. But he can still tie or win outright thanks to having picked up an ace at midseason who conveniently is pitching the final game.

wait, Pirates lost thanks to gem by runnerup's Cueto? Ace... WAINWRIGHT then sits out, neither late-game RP gets a W, and the 'best keeper list ever guy' loses the whole enchilada by 0.5 pts. Winner was in 5th place on Sept 1....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

In 2012 I had 3rd place all but locked up which at least got my money back. On the final day my hitters to 1-25 and a closer gets in some work and gives up a couple of runs. Two teams hit over .500 which costs me two points and my kid gets a shutout from Gio Gonzalez to pick up a point in ERA and pass me for 3rd.

In 2013 I was in 1st and over the last weekend I had four starters go with ERA about 2.50 but no wins. The guy behind me has 5 starters go with ERA over 5.00 but gets six wins thanks to a reliever to pick up 4 points in wins and pass me late Sunday afternoon with the last of those wins.

I taught them all this year. I finished 9th so no cheating me out of $$ on the last day.

In football this year I am getting the opposite. I was 6-7 and last team in the playoffs. Beat two teams I was 0-4 against in the season and I am now in the finals. I try to defend my team, saying I started 1-5 due to Brady doing nothing and Charles hurt. I did finish 5th in total points so it isn't too bad but I beat the two teams with the best records in the league so they are saying I am just lucky.

Comment

Working...
          X