your brain on butterflys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your brain on butterflys

A typical, healthy brain houses some 200 billion nerve cells, which are connected to one another via hundreds of trillions of synapses. Each synapse functions like a microprocessor, and tens of thousands of them can connect a single neuron to other nerve cells. In the cerebral cortex alone, there are roughly 125 trillion synapses, which is about how many stars fill 1,500 Milky Way galaxies.

One synapse, by itself, is more like a microprocessor--with both memory-storage and information-processing elements--than a mere on/off switch. In fact, one synapse may contain on the order of 1,000 molecular-scale switches. A single human brain has more switches than all the computers and routers and Internet connections on Earth.

Researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine have spent the past few years engineering a new imaging model, which they call array tomography, They found that the brain's complexity is beyond anything they'd imagined, almost to the point of being beyond belief http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20023112-247.html
    Times Topics > Series > Your Brain on Computers

**** did i spell the title wrong, it's butterflies isn't it?

Comment

I do not know, I have damaged my spelling and memory synapses before I new we had them.

Comment

there's a correlation between the number of nerve cells and the number of galaxies in the universe. and the number of nuerons and the number of suns in each galaxy. and the number of synapse's in each human brain and the number planets and moons in each solar system.

the comparison of the components of the universe and the comparison of the components of the human brain is no mistake....there are intentional hints. everywhere. some more direct than others.

prove me wrong and..of course, i'll just find something even better...yet the comparison i just did is a start.

edit: the next step is the number of cities in the world or perhaps country. and then towns etc.. maybe the location of them in the world compared to the geography of the human brain....keep in mind that the you tube video is a mouses brain. cause you don't really want to see what that looks like in a human brain. unless you want to be overwhelmed. and i was never really good at geography or math. ..but the comparison is there. this is only the first time anyones ever tried to make that connection. (pun intended)
        Last edited by ; 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

ppl once said the world was flat. i wonder if these days thats like saying the human brain is flat.except instead of exploring and finding out the world isn't, they are now discovering that the brain isn't so flat. and it's a lot similar to the same argument.

Comment

cryonics is a strange thing i guess. there's a guy that died recently, i think his name is Robert Ettinger, he had some strange ideas. not so much in the science sense but he believed that society should freeze everyone that dies. i mean if members of society never die, they would be somewhat reticent to misbehave. not such a bad trade off, after-all, to live forever.
            Last edited by ; 11-04-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Ettinger described a world in which people would become nobler and more responsible as they con-fronted the reality of living forever.
              http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...t-2338622.html

time becomes meaningless in this context

Comment

nully what are your thoughts on Ray Kurzweil and his prediction that we're on the cusp of the Singularity? I believe he's specifically said 2032 is the year technology will surpass the limitations of biology and effectively make us immortal. It's a very dense book that I'm still trying to finish, and i haven't yet seen the new documentary.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  nully what are your thoughts on Ray Kurzweil and his prediction that we're on the cusp of the Singularity? I believe he's specifically said 2032 is the year technology will surpass the limitations of biology and effectively make us immortal. It's a very dense book that I'm still trying to finish, and i haven't yet seen the new documentary.

http://www.singularity.com/
                  Excellent documentary. Kind of scared the crap out of me.

The craziest thing about it is that nobody in the film really doubts his idea of technology merging with and surpassing humanity, they only question the time at which this will occur, and whether the effects of this will be positive or negative for the human race.

By the way, Nully, we missed you.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                    there's a correlation between the number of nerve cells and the number of galaxies in the universe. and the number of nuerons and the number of suns in each galaxy. and the number of synapse's in each human brain and the number planets and moons in each solar system.

the comparison of the components of the universe and the comparison of the components of the human brain is no mistake....there are intentional hints. everywhere. some more direct than others.
                    Better be careful, this might hint at intelligent design and disqualify it from scientific discussions.

Comment

Working...
                    X