Dear Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Parents

I am wondering when your children stopped believing in Santa Claus and how you handled it? I know for some this is not a big deal, but for me, it is. My son is 7 so he is still full-throttle with it. I love it and my wife and I have great fun with it. He is an only child so I am not looking forward to when that part of the magic is gone.

I know I can't keep up the charade forever but I will as long as I can. After the cat's out of the bag, I will need to reinvent the game a little to keep the spirit strong. Any tips?
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Good question. My oldest is also 7 and thinks Santa brings his gifts, so I'd like to hear some responses!

Comment

We just let it play out. By the time they are 10, your kids will likely have been been told there is no Santa by other kids. . That is when mine stopped believing.

Comment

Well, there are couple of things that I would suggest, with the knowledge that at some point it will come to an end. Sometimes the year or years of questioning can be even better than the blind belief.

I would try to make sure to visit the same Santa Claus at the mall or local store. The consistency in pictures and familiarity will definitely help.

I suggest you keep watching all of the great Santa Claus movies (Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, etc.) Those help reinforce the magic. I think the Polar Express movie is great, as well...the hearing the bell part is so good.

Make sure your kid(s) know exactly what Santa does in your house (one gift, all gifts, one gift and stocking, etc.).

If you can help provide a little extra magic...something extra that you, as a parent, would be thought not to provide will be great, as well. When you kid tells you the big thing they want, give a little chuckle with the "Better ask Santa for that one."

When they start questioning, or older kids start to tell them, do your best to keep surprising them with something special and out of the ordinary.

These are pretty simple, but hopefully, helpful.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

IIRC, Gregg had a great response to this question a few years back.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I remember being around 6 or 7 years old when my twin and I went together to Mom to confirm that the Easter Bunny was not real - it just didn't add up. She reluctantly confirmed. Of course, we walked away saying, "But at least Santa Claus is real!"
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

10 seems about right, my parents had to finally take me aside because I was getting in arguements with other kids about it, basically claiming that Santa had to be real because my parents were poor and there was no way my parents could buy me everything santa gave me, I think a teacher finally called my parents to have a discussion with me
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                I am wondering when your children stopped believing in Santa Claus and how you handled it? I know for some this is not a big deal, but for me, it is. My son is 7 so he is still full-throttle with it. I love it and my wife and I have great fun with it. He is an only child so I am not looking forward to when that part of the magic is gone.

I know I can't keep up the charade forever but I will as long as I can. After the cat's out of the bag, I will need to reinvent the game a little to keep the spirit strong. Any tips?
                What do you mean BELIEVING in Santa Clause? He's real, dang it.

Comment

no kids here, but I was 4 or 5 when my parents finally caved to my constant questions. My mom sat me down and explained that there was a santa at one point (i to this day have no idea what saint nicholas is known for but whatever) and that parents honor the tradition by continuing on his legacy (or whatever) with their children. Now that I knew the truth, it was my job to help continue that legacy. She swore me not to tell my friends but that I was now on the other side of Santa Claus, the giving side. So for me, Santa never went away or stopped being a thing... it just became my job to be santa. I hear all my friends say that Christmas was never the same after they found out, but I think their parents just went about it wrong. I love giving gifts, I love being one of the caretakers of the santa tradition.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

My kid was nine before he quit believing. He never really questioned me about it, one year he just told me he knew Santa wasn't real. His mom, my ex, is Jewish so I felt lucky to get him to believe that long.

A friend of mine had a 7 year old who questioned whether Santa was real last year. He had a neighbor, who did Santa for stores, dress up as Santa on Christmas Eve and come over. My friend filmed him putting a present under the tree and eating a cookie. They showed it to their daughter the next day and said their security camera got Santa. Don't know what lying does to the girl in the future but she is all in for Santa this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      IIRC, Gregg had a great response to this question a few years back.
                      Better than Sheep's answer from 4 years back?

Comment

My son stopped believing before last Christmas, and he was 10 last holiday season. However, we didn't know he didn't believe, as he just acted as if he believed because...and I quote "You seemed to be enjoying it, and I didn't want to ruin it for you."

Such a nice boy.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I think I was probably around 10 when I found out. I had younger siblings so I forget how it all went down. We still believed in the spirit of Santa, and he continued to bring gifts. I think he still leaves something at my dad's place for me each year and I'm 42.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I was astonished that you rubes lasted til age 10 until I remembered that we were the youngest of 5 kids and many of you might have been the oldest. My oldest brother moved out to Columbia U the weekend we turned 8 yrs old, and two sisters in between weren't going to let us be the most gullible...
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              I remember being around 6 or 7 years old when my twin and I went together to Mom to confirm that the Easter Bunny was not real - it just didn't add up. She reluctantly confirmed. Of course, we walked away saying, "But at least Santa Claus is real!"
                              At 7, after being told by classmates it wasn't real, I asked my parents about the Tooth Fairy and its nonexistence was confirmed, but I was told not to spoil it for my younger sister.
                              At 8, after being told by classmates he wasn't real, I asked my parents about Santa Claus and his nonexistence was confirmed, but I was told not to spoil it for my younger sister.
                              At 9, I figured the same had to be true for the Easter Bunny and didn't bother to ask.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X