A question for computer geeks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for computer geeks.

I have a 4 year old "All in One" PC that my wife bought me, thinking it would be great to play World of Warcraft on, since the box showed WoW on the screen of the PC. She knows nothing about computers except how to use them..... she never even thought about the fact that this computer doesn't even have a video card. Well, I still play WoW, but with the new expansion that came out about 10 days ago, this computer is absolutely worthless for playing WoW. I used to get 30 frames per second before the expansion, and now, I get anywhere from 4 FPS to 22 FPS, and average around 13 - 14 FPS.

We just did a boatload of home improvement so I don't really want to buy a new PC right now.

Anyway, I have a 6 year old PC that does have a video card. It was, at that time, a very high end video card..... a high end GeForce card. And I was wondering if you think that would be more likely to run WoW better?

I know, I can't really know until I try it out, but it is currently sitting in someone's basement. I loaned it to someone until they could get a new one..... and the guy lives about 50 miles away. And he can't bring it to me as he lost his license for too many DUI.

I guess, and this just occurred to me, that that PC might be running XP, which might be dangerous to use as far as virus protection goes.

Before I make that trip, I was wondering what you think.

It would probably be better, but you'll want to make sure that your PC is even capable of being upgraded. It's entirely possible that if this machine was intended for non-tech-savvy people and it's just using integrated graphics, it may not even have a slot to put the new card in.

That said, it's not going to be a ton better. Pretty much anything you pick from here is going to be better, and the lowest-cost option is $15 after rebate. Again, make sure your computer can take it before you buy one, but it's very likely that the cheapest one is at least as good as your six-year-old one and it might be $20 of headache for you to drive to pick up that card and bring it back, and you don't even know that the old card hasn't had moisture damage or dust or something like that.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Just curious, this someone who is 50 miles away and has the computer, a decent friend? Is he using it, depending on it in some way for his work or to try to find work? If the guy cant get around well being unable to drive at this time, and he is using it in a productive way for his survival, I sure wouldnt want to drive 50 miles each way to rip it out of his existence for the sole purpose of having my orc warrior swing his axe better in a game.

In my experience, if I "loan" something to someone that is in some way integral to their survival, say a loan to pay rent, or my old ac unit in the summer time, or whatever, I consider the item theirs until they are in a position to give it back.

Comment

As I said, it is just sitting in someone's basement.

Comment

Frankly, anything we are saying is just guessing. We don't know what kind of computer you have, if it can be upgraded, what the mystery video card is...but if your computer can be upgraded in the video card range I think your 100 mile drive wouldn't end up doing you any good...I'd look for a decent low end/mid range card.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

i think folks are misunderstanding.

he can't replace the video card in his current PC - it doesn't have a replaceable one (i'm assuming it's using video driven from the mother board).

he's wondering if his old PC will give better performance, with it's existing video card (at least i think that's the point).

it's hard to say without knowing more details of your old system, but my guess is that with a 6-year-old system, you won't get better performance than your current one, even if you could put in a more modern video card. it's most likely limited by the total amount of RAM you can put in the machine (and its speed), which unless it was an extremely high-end computer for 6 years ago is probably simply insufficient for current high-fps games.

fact of the matter is that if you want to keep gaming on the cutting edge you basically have to replace your computer every few years. there's not really a way around that.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Both of your computers are shit. Get a new one.
              This. Probably what was top end 6 years ago is now the on board video on your current POS.

Sorry to say, but it is time for an upgrade.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Both of your computers are shit. Get a new one.
                I was looking for a nicer way to say it, but, yeah, this pretty much sums it up.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I was looking for a nicer way to say it, but, yeah, this pretty much sums it up.
                  Eld never beats around the bush lol

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    Eld never beats around the bush lol
                    unless it's sarah palin's.

:duck:
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Well, yeah, I know they are bad. I was planning to buy a new one, but the wife went nuts on home improvement.

But at least BryanButler understood what I meant.

I would love to build one from scratch, but have never done it.....

Comment

I have built my own PC once and that was 10 years ago.

Basically now you can go with a Intel Core i5 system or an AMD Octa Core. AMD is still cheaper.

It still comes down to how much you want to spend on the video card. I have no clue what the right pieces are to buy. The only thing I would stay away from is Windows 8.1. Can't stand Windows 8. Windows 7 is more to my liking. Buy a magazine like maximum pc and see what builds they are doing.
                        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

try lowering your resolution first. it does wonders. my last 2 computers were onboard video. you could also turn down the graphics on the game. for example a few years ago when I tried to run world at war I probably got like 4 fps, but after I set my computers resolution to the lowest setting 640x480 I could actually run a server and play on it. sometimes there are even tactical advantages to running graphics old school. I've never played world of Warcraft but if you switch your system to 640x480 you'll get like 50 fps.

the main about video cards imo is if the game even runs at all. if it requires a 512mb card instead of a 256mb one. once it's running, you can always tweek things to an acceptable fps.

Comment

Nullie.... I have it all as low as can be...

Anyway, I came up with this.... what do you think?

I decided that I really just want a new PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
                              Nullie.... I have it all as low as can be...

Anyway, I came up with this.... what do you think?

I decided that I really just want a new PC.
                              that looks like a good start Papa.

Comment

Working...
                              X