Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attended a funeral today... it all felt wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attended a funeral today... it all felt wrong.

Before I start..... in NO WAY am I against anybody's belief in any religion. If you want to worship Barney the Dinosaur, so be it. This story is about me, and me only.

I attended a funeral today for the stepson of my favorite brother in law. The boy was 17 years old, and died in a car crash, when he was thrown from the car without wearing a seat belt. Another boy in the car died, and a girl that was in the car got out of the hospital today. I barely knew the boy, as we never really spent much time together. But I surely felt bad for all of his living friends and relatives.

But while I was in the church, all I could feel was a total disconnect with organized religion. My mind wandered all over the place. I looked at pretty women... and had thoughts one should not have at a funeral.... I thought about some issues going on in my own family..... I thought about how I don't fit in when I go to church. I kept thinking, "please let this be over soon." And then the minute I get out of church, it was like a wave of relief.

I grew up in a Catholic family. I spent some years in a Catholic school - about 6, IIRC. I once wanted to be an alter boy.

I think of myself as somewhat spiritual, but not overly so. My personal beliefs are not at all in line with the church's mandates. When I attend church, I feel a sense of hypocrisy within me. ( Of course, I do want to support family and friends ) I never go to church for any reason except to support friends and family.

Then, as we were at the burial, the thought hits me..... As decent a person as I think I am, if there is a heaven, I'm probably not getting there.

Maybe tomorrow, all these thoughts will have disappeared, but today, they hit kind of hard.

What do you think about Pope Francis and some of the ideas he has put forth? It doesn't seem like his first priority is caring about whether you are falling in line with the church's mandates. I know that rankles some in the church, but it reminds me of a certain first-century rabbi.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Honestly, I guess it is a step in the right direction, but at the same time, the cynical me wonders if it is only because Catholicism seems to be a dying religion. The high school I attended - a Catholic one - is now a combination of 4, or maybe even 5 high schools.

Comment

I went to 12 years of Catholic school, and I would say that you are being too hard on yourself.

For all of the awful failings of that church in recent years, one thing to me endures. People come from all over the world, and local people as down on their luck as they can be do, too - to visit St. Patrick's Cathedral in midtown Manhattan.

It's a grand palace, and that can be a point of contention. But the doors are open to all, and it's worth a visit to see people inside who are so desperate and so bad off finding at least a modest temporary comfort.

Aside from all the nonsense, the point being that all are sinners and all are welcome there. You too and me too. Tomorrow, the next day, and beyond.

Don't get me started on some of the other stuff, but at least there's that.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Strip away a lot of the dogmatic and political bullshit and there are some awfully nice things about just about every religion.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            I was looking for the Scanners one, but yours is even better.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
            X