Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSTA draft results

Wow at Andre Ethier achieving second round status

I was surprised by how early Jose Bautista was chosen. He went to Shandler on the 2nd pick of the 3rd rd.

Comment

I wouldn't have taken A-Rod and Tex back-to-back at the end of the first, and I'm a Yankees homer. For the most part, the group really waited on pitching.

Comment

Encarnacion at 28.1 could be a huge steal

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          Encarnacion at 28.1 could be a huge steal
          Does he have a starting gig right now?
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Does he have a starting gig right now?
            Not at any one position. I see him getting time at 1B vs tough lefties that Lind can't handle and DH. I think the addition of Napoli all but relegates Arencibia back to AAA because the club just signed Molina as their defensive guy and $2.5m is a lot to pay Encarnacion to ride a lot of bench. He was their 2nd best power hitter last season if you look at ISO.

My piece at Baseball Prospectus today is on the situation

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              Not at any one position. I see him getting time at 1B vs tough lefties that Lind can't handle and DH. I think the addition of Napoli all but relegates Arencibia back to AAA because the club just signed Molina as their defensive guy and $2.5m is a lot to pay Encarnacion to ride a lot of bench. He was their 2nd best power hitter last season if you look at ISO.

My piece at Baseball Prospectus today is on the situation

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=12781

I saw the article that you wrote today on this subject and I was going to comment upon it and decided to do so in this forum instead.

I enjoy seeing the results of the expert leagues but I don't necessarily believe that I would substitute the information that I see there for the information these same experts present in their publications. Often what the experts do in these expert auction/drafts are far different from what they reccomend.

The results of any draft/auction is going to vary by a great many factors, The only way to have a result which follows the ADP is to have it be done via computer list. Humans are, and should be, influenced by outside factors such as who their opponents have chosen, their own favorites, (even though we may try to avoid making decisions this way we are still influenced by things such as the players we like, dislike, can see play,or not play)estimates of what they feel their opponents will do later,etc.. This is one of the reasons why the fantasy draft/auctions are so much fun. It's a rare individual who doesn't get antsy about taking a catcher or ss or 2b when he sees a run of them going off the board. It is a real challenge to stick to your guns and not deviate from your planned strategy except when the actions of the other teams force you to make seat of the pants changes. Planning and valuation are important but strategy might be just as important.

Comment

Fair point - but experts also heavily influence "normal" drafts. Having worked NFBC the last two years, I'd see blantant steals out there on the board and watched guys pour through their ADP sheets telling themselves it's too early to take that guy.

Comment

Right, I've always believed that an expert sets the trends rather than follows them. If an expert is drafting against other experts why would he want to follow the ADP trends of non-experts?

Just like expert Todd Zola mentioned in another thread, sometimes an expert does things to prove a point. Taking a player earlier than most would or paying more for a player can indicate a ton of different things to that expert's followers.

Comment

I want to see where the 10 guys I mentioned are being drafted in 2 weeks. Did the expert moves cause a reaction on the open market or were the moves ignored? I'd like to think my guy love of Nelson Cruz in 2009 and Martin Prado last year pushed their value on the open market. I ran 3 drafts at NFBC last year and each time someone took Prado in that draft, the guy was like "I read your piece in February and watched his value spike. I had to get him after what you said."

Comment

Re Shandler's team: I actually like Braun as the second choice, due to reliability. I like Ubaldo in the 4th and Kelly Johnson in the 6th, but Konerko in round 5 seems a tad early. He picked up a ton of speed in the 10th and 11th rounds, maybe even enough to win that category. Dexter Fowler is a great gamble for getting him so late. And I flat love how he finished out his pitching staff in the late rounds. I think he does very well in the pitching categories and speed categories, but you can tell he was reaching for power.

I'm not overwhelmed by his team, but it seems better than last years disaster.
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I'll amend my comments to say Shandler has some power, but I just don't trust the sources of his power that much.
                        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

At first blush, I'm very underwhelmed by Rotowire's team.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                          X