Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Interested in a World of Warcraft Group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

omg - ozzy was GL of mischief? that says something about how far things had fallen already.

been online-free for about 4 months now, and loving it. i don't see myself going back any time soon...
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

If anyone in Azeroth needs to be saved...

Comment

i've been tempted to get back on... but I'm so lost as to what I should be working toward anymore.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

You could do Looking For Raid to see a simplified version of the current raid content that doesn't require you to block out time, organize with 25 people, etc.

At this point most people are just sort of biding their time until the expansion. It's still highly expected to be out before the end of September even though it doesn't yet have a release date.

Personally I'm catching up on some raiding achievements from earlier in the expansion and trying to organize a Herald of the Titans run.

Comment

What do you guys think of the Mists cinematic released today?

Comment

I loved it. Some people were saying it was "too cheesy", but we are playing a game where Cowmen turn into big Owlbears and ride on chickens while fearsome Orc warriors often pause to do the Hammerdance.

If cheese were a primary obstacle I doubt anyone would have gotten to this point.

Comment

First of all, I want to talk about the orc. Notice what a huge difference there is with this orc versus the first orc featured in the classic WoW trailer! This orc is canny. He doesn’t just come lumbering up to the human, he’s watching him for a moment, gauging his opponent, thinking. Oh, there’s no doubt they are going to end up fighting (hello, orcs and humans) but he doesn’t just charge in blindly. When he accidentally reveals his position with a sound, then he’s lost the advantage and he seizes what he has left to him to try and catch the human off-guard.

I really like the way they chose to portray both the orc and the human here. The human is also a grizzled veteran and someone used to command. He’s not going to back down from a fight with the orc, and it’s a great fight scene. As the trailer goes on, the appearance of Chen Stormstout just makes it better. Of course it has all the kung fu movie type tropes (effortlessly dodging attacks and putting both opponents down repeatedly, etc. Although the human does take a chunk out of his hat!) This is basically just a good, wholesome fight scene and it’s enjoyable to watch. There are moments of subtle humour, too – Chen replaces the pedestal the orc broke and then straightens it (you can almost hear him thinking “HMPH,”) and when the human hands the orc the spear their open-mouthed gaping is priceless.

But what about the story, since I was so down on the Cataclysm trailer and Deathwing for lacking a story? Well, it’s an interesting trailer because unlike the previous three expansions (and as Blizzard themselves have made this clear) it doesn’t have a “big bad.” You don’t see any villains in this cinematic at all, unless the humans and orcs are the villains, and we just might be in this context. But that doesn’t mean it’s lacking a story. Chen’s voice over speaks volumes about that with the more philosophical questions. “Why do we fight?” etc. The moment when the mists dissipate to reveal the rest of Pandaria gave me chills just like the Wrath trailer. Again, it’s a completely different approach and that’s what I like about it. It takes several themes – the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance, the nature of the new race we are meeting – and interweaves them.

We know that Mists doesn’t have one overarching villain the way previous expansions did. That doesn’t mean it lacks conflict. The trailer left me with a strong wish to explore this land and get to know its mysterious inhabitants. That is the best place you could hope for a trailer to leave you – excited, anticipatory, and impressed. If this world is even half as beautiful as the trailer would suggest, I am going to be ridiculously happy wandering around it at the end of September.

Comment

I logged in for the first time in two years yesterday, im level 82....
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Young Guns View Post
                    First of all, I want to talk about the orc. Notice what a huge difference there is with this orc versus the first orc featured in the classic WoW trailer! This orc is canny. He doesn’t just come lumbering up to the human, he’s watching him for a moment, gauging his opponent, thinking. Oh, there’s no doubt they are going to end up fighting (hello, orcs and humans) but he doesn’t just charge in blindly. When he accidentally reveals his position with a sound, then he’s lost the advantage and he seizes what he has left to him to try and catch the human off-guard.

I really like the way they chose to portray both the orc and the human here. The human is also a grizzled veteran and someone used to command. He’s not going to back down from a fight with the orc, and it’s a great fight scene. As the trailer goes on, the appearance of Chen Stormstout just makes it better. Of course it has all the kung fu movie type tropes (effortlessly dodging attacks and putting both opponents down repeatedly, etc. Although the human does take a chunk out of his hat!) This is basically just a good, wholesome fight scene and it’s enjoyable to watch. There are moments of subtle humour, too – Chen replaces the pedestal the orc broke and then straightens it (you can almost hear him thinking “HMPH,”) and when the human hands the orc the spear their open-mouthed gaping is priceless.

But what about the story, since I was so down on the Cataclysm trailer and Deathwing for lacking a story? Well, it’s an interesting trailer because unlike the previous three expansions (and as Blizzard themselves have made this clear) it doesn’t have a “big bad.” You don’t see any villains in this cinematic at all, unless the humans and orcs are the villains, and we just might be in this context. But that doesn’t mean it’s lacking a story. Chen’s voice over speaks volumes about that with the more philosophical questions. “Why do we fight?” etc. The moment when the mists dissipate to reveal the rest of Pandaria gave me chills just like the Wrath trailer. Again, it’s a completely different approach and that’s what I like about it. It takes several themes – the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance, the nature of the new race we are meeting – and interweaves them.

We know that Mists doesn’t have one overarching villain the way previous expansions did. That doesn’t mean it lacks conflict. The trailer left me with a strong wish to explore this land and get to know its mysterious inhabitants. That is the best place you could hope for a trailer to leave you – excited, anticipatory, and impressed. If this world is even half as beautiful as the trailer would suggest, I am going to be ridiculously happy wandering around it at the end of September.
                    This reads like a review from some pretentious hipster talking about the latest indie flick he saw. Dude it's a game. LoL and a bad one at this point.

You aren't going to play because of the storyline or if the Orc has matured. You're going to play because this is part of your daily routine and you're hooked on the crack. And that's fine. If you get enjoyment out of it then more power to ya, but gimmie a break with this BS fluff stuff about chills and the wonder of exploring new lands. LOL

Comment

• My family is watching the trailer right now
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        My family is watching the trailer right now
                        Were they moved to tears?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                          Were they moved to tears?
                          they were all just laughing by how much they are going to slaughter the Horde on Cenarius......93% Alliance on that server last time I checked....

Comment

• Diff strokes for diff folks. Seem to recall you were initially ridiculing WoW and people who played it before doing so yourself on the old site.

Comment

• Originally posted by Young Guns View Post
                              Diff strokes for diff folks. Seem to recall you were initially ridiculing WoW and people who played it before doing so yourself on the old site.
                              Yep played the game for 4+ years, so I think I can say with authority that it's changed for the worse. I'm ridiculing you for your whacky joy and amazement in a 3 minute trailer for a video game. LOL
                              Last edited by ; 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Considering you've been a douchebag ever since you've joined the site and I gave up giving a **** what you thought about anything soon thereafter I'll round file your opinion on what I do or do not like here as well. Come to think of it. You do sound like any of the trolls that are so prevalent in trade chat.

For everyone else. http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/08/17/mi...ematic-review/

Comment

Working...
                                X