No announcement yet.

Phillies Farm System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phuture Phillies end of year review of corner infielders.
    This will be a long trek but the intention is to go through each player in the organization and grade his 2012.  The grade will be based on expectations for that player entering the season as oppos…

The main attractions:

Darin Ruf, 26, Phils 20th round pick in 2009. .317/.408/.620 in 489 AB’s; 38 HR 104 RBI; 2/2SB; 12%bb/18% k ratio; .392 vs. LH, .284 vs. RH, .286 with RISP; .349 with 20 HR since August 1. 107 games at 1B with 4 errors (.995) 7.75 R/F; 28 games in the OF without an error; 3 OF assists; If Ruf picked a statline to shoot for in 2012, it was what you just read. He did it all and did it well. He is blocked at 1B, and I would expect him to see a considerable amount of time in LF in Lehigh Valley next year, with starts at 1B as well. It will be very tough to keep a bat like this out of the lineup. Is his defense as bad as the Phillies lead us to believe? I have seen him about a half a dozen times and he is slow. That being said, he is far more capable then others I have seen, in the OF even at the AAA level. When he gets to the ball, he does the right thing. Ruf will have to be protected on the 40 man roster over the Winter. Grade: A.

Cody Asche, 22, Phils 4th round pick in 2011; .324/.369/.381 in 518 AB’s between Clearwater and Reading; 12 HR and 72 RBI; 11SB; For Reading: .300/.360/.513 in 263 AB’s; 10HR 47 RBI; .301 vs. LH, .300 vs. RH, .309 with RISP; 8%bb/20% k rates; .353 since August 1. 127 games at 3B with 18 errors (.941); 2.28 R/F. Asche put himself on the radar screen in 2012 with outstanding play in Clearwater and after a bumpy beginning in Reading, a nice adjustment and “continued success”, A good defender who is gaining pop, no reason to rush Asche (other than the fact the Phils dont have a 3B), who the Phils don’t need to protect on the 40 this off season. 2012 Grade: A; 2013: I struggle with this. All things being equal, I would like him to get another 100-150 PA’s in AA before the move up. I have seen Asche several times and have been very impressed but think we need to reel it in just a bit to give the kid a fighting shot.

Maikel Franco, 20, Signed as a free agent in 2010; .280/.336/.439 in 503 AB’s; 14HR 84 RBI; 7%bb/15% k rates; .295 vs. LH, .273 vs. RH, .331 with RISP; Hit .346 with 8 HR and 57 RBI Post All Star Break. 122 games at 3B with 16 errors (.944); 2.21 R/F.After a very mediocre first half, Franco came on like gang busters during the second half of the season, hitting for power, average and producing plenty of runs, with good defense to boot. May have played himself onto the Top 10 Phils prospects list, and has the potential to move quickly from here. Grade B+; 2013: Clearwater starting 3B.
    Serritella and Perkins deserve some attention, and Walding was getting rave reviews early on. Hopefully he just wore down in his first year of the MiLB grind and good things are to come.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ruf to be called up today. No idea what kind of playing time he will get or even if they will trust him in LF at all.

Comment

BA Came out with their top 10 for the phillies.

if you don't subscribe, PhuturePhillies did a summary of BAs writeup:
        Today Baseball America released their Top 10 prospects in the Phillies System.  Since the scouting reports are behind the pay wall I will keep the scouting reports to quick paraphrases of Baseball …

Here's the list:
        1. Jesse Biddle – LHP – Age 21
        2. Roman Quinn – SS – Age 19
        3. Tommy Joseph – C
        4. Jonathan Pettibone – RHP
        5. Adam Morgan – LHP – Age 22
        6. Ethan Martin – RHP – Age 23
        7. Cody Asche - 3B – Age 22
        8. Maikel Franco – 3B – Age 20
        9. Darin Ruf – 1B/OF – Age 26
        10. Carlos Tocci – CF – Age 17

I like this list a lot. Mostly because it's not filled with relief pitchers like it was last year. Biddle is probably the only guy who will make BA's top 100 list, but I think the top 3 guys along with Franco have a chance to be very good ML players. I think everyone on the list has a decent chance of contributing.

Comment

I really like Roman Quinn. Supposedly has 80 speed. A switch hitter with some skills and patience at the plate. He just needs to get his defense straight and the next Phillies shortstop will be apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
            I really like Roman Quinn. Supposedly has 80 speed. A switch hitter with some skills and patience at the plate. He just needs to get his defense straight and the next Phillies shortstop will be apparent.
            There's been some talk of Larry Bowa working with him this year and I hope that it happens. Rollins has given credit to Bowa for helping him become a gold glover.

Comment

Singleton Suspended 50 Games

Not sure if this is the best place to post it, but former Phillies top prospect Jonathan Singleton was caught...From Rotoworld:

"I was informed today that I have tested positive for marijuana," Singleton said in a statement. "As a result, I am being suspended for the first 50 games of the 2013 season. I accept the penalty and take full responsibility for my actions. I apologize to my parents, the Houston Astros and (general manager) Jeff Luhnow."

Comment

Biddle strikes out 16 in 7 innings last night.

1st Inning:
                Strikeout looking
                Strikeout swinging
                Strikeout looking

2nd Inning:
                Ground out
                Fly out
                Strikeout swinging

3rd Inning:
                Strikeout looking
                Fly out
                Strikeout looking

4th Inning:
                Strikeout swinging
                Strikeout swinging
                Strikeout swinging

5th Inning:
                Ground out
                Ground out
                Strikeout swinging

6th Inning:
                Strikeout swinging
                Strikeout swinging
                Strikeout swinging

7th Inning:
                Strikeout swinging
                Walk (First Harrisburg baserunner of the night)
                Single
                Strikeout swinging
                Walk
                Strikeout Looking
                Biddle did most of his damage with a pinpoint accurate Fastball and a 12-6 curve that made more than a few hitters look bad. And those hitters aren't bad, as he made a few of the Nationals top prospects in Destin Hood and Brian Goodwin look bad.
                Last edited by heyelander; 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I got out to Lakewood on Sunday. They have a good team. Quinn had a nice bunt where the 3rd basemen was already way in on the grass. Quinn pushed it just by him and beat it out easy. He stole second in the same inning. I was surprised at how close a play was. Not sure about his base running yet. He also tried to score from second on a ball hit to shallow left field and was thrown out easy. I'm not sure if he blew through a sign or the coach sent him, but it was a dumb play by someone.

Shane Watson was pitching and threw 5 innings of shutout 1 hit ball. He walked 3 and struck out 2. Looked easy for him. I forgot to look at the gun to see how hard he was throwing though.

Larry Green Jr (recently called up from XST) hit the ball hard few times but right at people. He did have 1 hit. He then tried to steal second (rumor was he was in xst because he came into camp out of shape so stealing was really weird. He's a big guy) and got thrown out easy.

Walding didn't have any hits, but looked good at third. Tocci had two hits. Art Charles, the guy they got for schwimmer is huge. He made LGJ look small. Charles went 3-4 and hit the ball the hardest of anyone on the team. The whole team looks decent and was enjoyable to watch. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Larry Green Jr (recently called up from XST) hit the ball hard few times but right at people. He did have 1 hit. He then tried to steal second (rumor was he was in xst because he came into camp out of shape so stealing was really weird. He's a big guy) and got thrown out easy.
                    So, Greene looked good at the plate? What I've been hearing is that this guy is a hitter, like a scary hitter, but may never be able to stay in game shape. Does the bat look as good as they say?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                      So, Greene looked good at the plate? What I've been hearing is that this guy is a hitter, like a scary hitter, but may never be able to stay in game shape. Does the bat look as good as they say?
                      The power hasn't really shown up yet. He has shown decent plate discipline though... which is an oddity in the phillies system. I'm much more suspect with a pedigree than I am prospect on LGJ right now. Quinn and Franco are the guys to look at.

I guess suspect might be cynical. He's a prospect for them for sure, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe yet. It's still all projection. The plate discipline was encouraging.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        this isn't pleasant to read...

Phuturephillies.com is doing a mailbag Q&A this week. Here's the question on Larry Greene

I am interested in current scouting projection for Larry Greene, Jr. He has yet to hit a HR this year and for such a big guy he has less than 1 XBH/10 AB while striking out more than 40% of his AB. He walks a ton, but when your calling card is power and you are being out-homered by tiny Quinn on your own team, something seems wrong. Why does a scouting projection of outstanding raw power so often not show up as in-game power? What exactly do the scouts look for to tag a guy with outstanding raw power as a tool?

The current scouting projection I have heard most recently is non-prospect. He is bailing on his swings right now and is doing little more than flailing at it. Essentially he is not using any of his body in his swing and the bat speed is also down as well. He needs a major overhaul at the plate and now that it looks like he is destined for first base defensively it is going to take a lot to rejuvenate his prospect status. There is still plenty of raw strength and he does have patience at plate so there is a base to build from, but it is going to be a lot of work.

There are a couple of disconnects between in-game and batting practice power. The most obvious is the hit tool, you can’t hit for power if you aren’t getting the bat on the ball. Another is a difference in swing between game and batting practice. This can be due to a difference in the plane of the swing or an entirely different swing, which can because of the nature of the types of pitches being thrown or direction from management. When you are marking a guy as having excellent raw power you are looking for how far they can hit a baseball and how hard the contact they are making. This can be both in batting practice and in game. But it really can come down to the development of the hit tool.
                        All Q&A at: http://phuturephillies.com/2013/05/2...point-mailbag/

Comment

• More on Larry Greene - From Phuturephillies roundup on OF Prospects
                          A second look at the OF around the system.  The good: Castro, Altherr, Dugan, Perkins, Susdorf.  The bad: Collier, Mitchell, Hudson. The ugly: Greene.  Lehigh Valley Jermaine Mitchell, 28, Signed a…

Larry Greene, 20, Phils 1st round pick in 2011; 178/.322/.220 in 118 AB’s; 0HR 13RBI; 2/4SB; .061 vs. LHP, .224 vs. RHP, .250 with RISP; .179 in May; 17%bb/34% k rate. 34 games in the OF with 5 errors (.896); 1 OF assist. Just awful The lone positive is a good walk rate.

The good(ish):

AAA
                          Leandro Castro, 23, Signed as a free agent in 2007; .281/.323/.436 in 185 AB’s; 6HR 28RBI; 13/17 SB; .373 vs. LHP, .238 vs. RHP, .333 with RISPl .276 in May; 6%bb/16% k rates. 49 games in the OF with 4 errors (.966); 2 OF assists; Castro is quietly placing himself into a position where he might be the first OF called up if a significant injury occurred in Phils outfield. Castro historical problem has been his free swinging. That will never change but Castro is much improved with a downward trend on his strikeout rate and his walk numbers, while still low trending upward. Castro is producing runs, stealing bases, and making contact.

A+
                          Aaron Altherr, 22, Phils 9th round pick in 2009; .324/.373/.527 in 188 AB’s; 4HR 32RBI; 13/14 SB; .256 vs. LHP, .345 vs. RHP, .429 with RISP, .297 in May; 8%bb/30% k rates; 44 games in the OF with 1 error (.988); 6 OF assists; Altherr has been outstanding this year with his strikeout rate the one caveat. I expect to see Altherr in Reading come July. The Phils have to make a 40 man roster decision on him in the Fall and he should be challenged as much as possible this year.

Kelly Dugan, 22, Phils 2nd round pick in 2009; .336/.407/.584 in 125 AB’s; 6HR 25RBI; 0SB; .357 vs. LHP, .325 vs. RHP, .389 with RISP; .314 in May; 9%bb/21% k rates. 26 games in the OF without an error; 3 OF assists; Dugan has been excellent since missing the first few weeks of the season injured. I would like to see him get another 200 or so AB’s at this level before consideration is given for the next step.

Cameron Perkins,22, Phils 6th round pick in 2012 draft; .337/.381/.513 in 199 AB’s; 3HR 31RBI; 3/6 SB; .382 vs. LHP; .319 vs. RHP; .431 with RISP; .320 in May; 6%bb/12% k rates. 43 games in the OF with 5 errors (.941); 6 OF assists. Perkins was hit on the hand last week an was placed on the DL and will be out until mid July. Perkins has been the most consistent hitter in the Phils system and was probably one solid month away from promotion.

A-
                          Carlos Tocci, 17, Signed as a free agent in 2011; .233/.284/.286 in 189AB’s; 0HR 11RBI; 4/6 SB; .326 vs. LHP, .205 vs. RHP, .250 with RISP, .269 in May. 6%bb/12% K rate. 51 games in the OF with 2 errors (.986); 5 OF assists. Perhaps the most important stat for Tocci is his strikeout rate which is very good for any age, let alone 17. Tocci is playing well enough not to be dropped back to Williamsport when their season begin. Just 17, the Phils should give him a good 500 AB’s at this level. SHowing a very good arm in the OF.

Comment

Working...
                          X