Angels in the OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels in the OF

So whats the OF going to look like on Opening day? Does Bourjos get a spot or is it Abreu/Wells/Hunter out there?

I thought this was interesting, from Ken Rosenthal- "The Angels will pay a combined $52.4 million to three center fielders next season -- Wells, Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr., who no longer is with the club. And, if the team commits to Peter Bourjos in center, it is possible that none of them will be in center field!''
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    So whats the OF going to look like on Opening day? Does Bourjos get a spot or is it Abreu/Wells/Hunter out there?

I thought this was interesting, from Ken Rosenthal- "The Angels will pay a combined $52.4 million to three center fielders next season -- Wells, Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr., who no longer is with the club. And, if the team commits to Peter Bourjos in center, it is possible that none of them will be in center field!''
    My understanding is Wells, Bourjos and Hunter with Abreu at DH. The article I read the Angels management was talking up how great of a defense that OF will have.

Comment

Bourjos has average plate skills but elite speed. Could be one to keep an eye on.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Agree, but you can't steal first base. I wonder about his ability to get enough hits to steal 30 bases. But if he gets regular PT and can even manage 260, he could steal a whole bunch of bases.
        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
          My understanding is Wells, Bourjos and Hunter with Abreu at DH. The article I read the Angels management was talking up how great of a defense that OF will have.
          Agreed...unless Bourjos gets squeezed by a Vlad signing.

Comment

I didn't get to a lot of Bees games last year so this is mostly from stats, not actually watching Bourjos play a lot. He did hit over 300 last year, but it is the PCL. He had never hit that good before. Last year was 25 walks in 450 at bats with 80 Ks. The Ks were about 1 per 6 ABs, in line with his minor league career and was about 1 per 4.5 ABs in the majors. His walk rate was good in AA but regressed as he moved to AAA last year and was worse in the majors. His defense is good and he can run (10 SB in 13 attempts in the majors last year, great success rate in the minors) but I don't see the hitting being enough to hold a spot. I think he will be a late defensive replacement guy/pinch runner more than a full time player.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
              I didn't get to a lot of Bees games last year so this is mostly from stats, not actually watching Bourjos play a lot. He did hit over 300 last year, but it is the PCL. He had never hit that good before. Last year was 25 walks in 450 at bats with 80 Ks. The Ks were about 1 per 6 ABs, in line with his minor league career and was about 1 per 4.5 ABs in the majors. His walk rate was good in AA but regressed as he moved to AAA last year and was worse in the majors. His defense is good and he can run (10 SB in 13 attempts in the majors last year, great success rate in the minors) but I don't see the hitting being enough to hold a spot. I think he will be a late defensive replacement guy/pinch runner more than a full time player.
              Actually, he hit .300 in rookie ball, and in the .290's in two other seasons, so he's not a stiff at the plate. As far as his walks are concerned, he had 49 walks in 504 AB's the previous season, so while his eye isn't great, it's not horrible either. He's also apparently a very good bunter, so he'll have to use that skill as well.

My guess is that he stars in CF and unless he falls off the face of the earth with the bat, stays there. His defense is simply too good to pass up if his bat is adequate.
              Last edited by Hornsby; 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

I take that back. He had a 0.15 EYE in nearly 200 MLB ABs so his plate skills were not very good at all. 4% BB/78 CT%.

Also a 25% hit rate on the back of a 10% LD rate. I like the 51% GB rate but unless he gets some help on hit rate or can improve the line drive rate or the EYE he could end up as just as a pinch runner/defensive replacement.
                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                  I like the 51% GB rate but unless he gets some help on hit rate or can improve the line drive rate or the EYE he could end up as just as a pinch runner/defensive replacement.
                  Which may not be all bad. He could be a very nice end-of-the-draft sleeper if he doesn't start and could get you 20 or 30 SB. The problem is someone is bound to see that .300 minor league BA and think he can do that in the majors. So they would bid him up.
                  “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    My guess is that he stars in CF
                    Because of defense and speed I wouldn't be too surprised if he started in CF but I don't know about being a star. His rookie league was over 300 but only 17 ABs. He did hit 281/295 in A/AA so there is hope. I would draft him low hoping for steals but I don't see the average/OBP being there.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                      Because of defense and speed I wouldn't be too surprised if he started in CF but I don't know about being a star. His rookie league was over 300 but only 17 ABs. He did hit 281/295 in A/AA so there is hope. I would draft him low hoping for steals but I don't see the average/OBP being there.
                      LOL...trying to type with one wing basically. Had shoulder surgery a week ago.

In the interests of full disclosure, I recently dealt for Bourjos, so my perceptions may be a bit skewed...
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Having seen Bourjos play at the MLB level, his bat wasn't quite ready. I don't think he looked comfortable at the plate or maybe not confident enough in himself with the bat.

Defensively, it seemed like every game he was making at least 1 highlight reel play. He has amazing speed. Don't think I've ever, in person, seen anyone faster. There's an excitement in the air when he gets on base as well as when he's chasing balls in the gaps.
                        I'd love to see him hit .260...or better.
                        As of now, he'll be the starting CF & bat 9th.

Comment

Didn't gary matthews demand a trade or release in order to be a STARTING outfielder in the majors?

Last I heard, he was spending some of that $55 million sitting on a beach drinking from a cup with an umbrella wondering why no one was calling...

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            In the interests of full disclosure, I recently dealt for Bourjos, so my perceptions may be a bit skewed...
                            Good timing on that one huh Steve?

As the one who traded Bourjos, I think Wells gives him a smaller margin of error but doesn't immediately pose a threat to Bourjos PT. Defense is why he was brought up and he did nothing but impress in CF. He also showed a lot of pop last year both in the minors and in Anaheim and if he can even manage an OBP of .320 I think he will be a very valuable player (both in fantasy and for the Angels). That said, he will need to significantly increase his walk rate to make that happen since he's not likely to hit more than .260 anytime soon.

Comment

How is Bourjous different from Reggie Willits? In fact, is he even as good as Willits? Ol' Reg somehow managed 518 PAs, a 293/391/344 line and 27 SBs in 2006.

I still think the Angels are going to have to sign a DH to add some offense (Vlad makes sense, though a lefty would be better) which would push Bourjous to the bench.

Of course, that could make him a better sleeper because any injury would make him a $3 guy who chips in 20+ steals.

Comment

Working...
                              X